Healthy Meal of the Week: Baked Chicken & Rice
Healthy Leftover Idea: Chicken Melt Sandwich
Here’s a meal that can basically be done in one pan within the oven which makes everything very convenient. Aside from the minor prep work you need to do, for the most part once everything is placed inside the oven and the timer is set, you need to do nothing else but sit back and wait for it to ring. Plus, with the Healthy meals delivered leftover meal idea listed below, you can make these handy chicken melt sandwiches that when combined with a piece of fruit and a bottle of water, you will have a lunch meal that barely totals 400 calories. That’s far superior than a fast food meal that often surpasses the 1,200+ calorie mark so this is a giant step forward in the right nutritional direction.
– Oven safe pan with lid (or foil)
– pot for veggies
– 15 minutes
– 40 minutes
– 8-10 pieces boneless chicken breasts
– 2 cups rice
– 1/4 cup olive oil
– 2 cans mixed vegetables (or other of your choice)
– seasonings: pinches of garlic powder, cayenne pepper, cumin, salt, and pepper
– 3 bay leaves
For Chicken Melt Sandwiches
– healthy whole wheat bread
– lowfat cheese
1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Open package of chicken and rinse each piece under cold water in the sink. Place all pieces on a plate on in a dish where they will be marinated.
2. Using two forks, repeatedly puncture each piece of chicken on both sides to help seasonings really soak into the meat. Sprinkle all seasonings over chicken pieces and continue to use the forks to puncture the chicken pieces and push those tasty seasonings into them.
3. On a skillet, add 1/4 cup of olive oil on medium heat. Add the pieces of chicken and allow each side to lightly brown usually about 3-4 minutes per side. Once finished remove chicken pieces from the pan and place on a plate.
4. Using the same skillet on medium heat leaving the leftover oil from the chicken in the pan add the two cups of rice and stir for a couple of minutes to allow to “brown” then remove from heat.